New Hockey Day Minnesota Details Announced
Thursday, 01.19.2012 / 4:03 PM CT / News
FOX Sports North, in conjunction with the National Hockey League’s Minnesota Wild and Wells Fargo, today announced new details for the Sixth Annual Hockey Day Minnesota taking place on Saturday, January 21. The day will include over 16 hours of consecutive hockey-related programming as well as an all-day telethon with multiple on-air elements dedicated to Jack Jablonski.
The telecast event begins at 9:00 a.m. with programming anchored from the Pagel Activity Center in Minnetonka, Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul and other locations across the state. An all-day benefit designed to raise money for the Jack Jablonski Trust Fund, which is set up through Wells Fargo, is also scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. The telethon is designed to encourage fans throughout the State of Hockey and beyond to call and donate. Operators at Xcel Energy Center, made up volunteers from the Benilde St. Margaret’s community, will take donations throughout the day, and anyone who makes a donation of $100 or more will receive a complimentary pair of Minnesota Wild tickets to either the Feb. 14 Wild game vs. Anaheim or Feb. 26 game vs. San Jose.
The online auction at Wild.com will also begin at 9 a.m. and include a number of one-of-a-kind Wild related experiences: lunch with General Manager Chuck Fletcher and Head Coach Mike Yeo, a spot at Wild Fantasy Camp, a 16 person suite donated by Dany Heatley, a Flagbearer opportunity, Elite Seats for a future game, a day at the Xcel Energy Center package and various game used autographed Wild items.
In addition to hosting the day-long benefit, the Minnesota Wild announced that players will wear helmet stickers with the number thirteen in honor of Jablonski. The team will also host volunteers from Benilde-St. Margaret’s Girls’ hockey team at the Xcel Energy Center on Saturday; the team will sell “Jabby” wrist bands to fans attending the Wild game.
FOX Sports North announced the 2012 Hockey Day Minnesota vignettes set to debut on Saturday, including an exclusive interview with Jack Jablosnki:
(exclusive) Jack’s Story: Jablonski recalls details of the tragic accident that left him paralyzed, discusses overcoming obstacles, future goals and the outreach received from the hockey community. He also provides cameras access inside his hospital room and gives the public a first look at his rehab routine. Other feature stories will highlight the Jablonski family, the doctors treating him and Jack’s teammates and coaches. See attached photo
Additional 2012 Features and Vignettes:
• Kobluk Family: The Kobluk’s have three biological children and three adopted children from Ethiopia. The adopted children, who once never knew of snow or ice, now play hockey on a backyard rink with their siblings.
• Guentzel Family: A father will face off against his son on Hockey Day, when the Golden Gophers and Colorado College at Mariucci Arena. Mike Guentzel is Minnesota’s associate head coach and Gabe is a senior defenseman for the Tigers.
• Defending the Blue Line: An organization on a mission to help children of military families play hockey. A story about the military sacrifices made by Austin and Carson (ages 5 and 3) from Sleepy Eye and 7-year-old Clayton from Blaine.
• Hockey Helps Wadena: A devastating tornado hit the small northern community of Wadena in June of 2010. A story about how hockey helped rebuild a community.
• Schwan’s Hockey Mom, Laura Hotvet: This Hockey mom not only loves the game, but lives it every day. As a player herself she knew there was more to just playing the game but giving back to the community she plays in. Hotvet started the program "Teams In Service" where individual hockey teams and associations set up specialized initiatives to help out those in their communities.
2012 Hockey Day Minnesota Schedule:
• White Bear Lake vs. Grand Rapids (Boys) – 10 a.m.
• Minnetonka vs. Duluth East (Boys) – 1:30 p.m.
• Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. Colorado College at Mariucci Arena – 5 p.m.
• Minnesota Wild vs. Dallas Stars at Xcel Energy Center – 8 p.m.
• Minnetonka vs. Hopkins (Girls) – 11:00 p.m. (tape delay)
The hockey community can join the live Hockey Day conversation via Twitter using #HDM.
More information on the Wild’s involvement in Hockey Day Minnesota can be found at www.wild.com/hockeyday. To learn more about Jack Jablonski’s story, visit www.jabby13.com. To donate to the Jack Jablonski Trust Fund, mail to Wells Fargo Bank, Jack Jablonski Trust Fund, PO Box 16387, St. Louis Park, MN, 55416, or go to any Wells Fargo location.